Recipe by VickyJ
I love this on broccoli, corn, baked potatoes, even some meat or pasta. I like to use white pepper. I don't like the look of the black pepper in the sauce, but it's up to you. If you don't like the sharp cheddar, you could also use a couple slices of American cheese.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup smoky flavor cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter; remove from heat.
- Stir in flour and seasonings.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until well mixed.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Cook for 5 minutes longer; add cheese. Stir until smooth and well blended.
- Serve with pasta or vegetables.
- Makes 2 cups.