I love this on broccoli, corn, baked potatoes, even some meat or pasta. I like to use white pepper. I don't like the look of the black pepper in the sauce, but it's up to you. If you don't like the sharp cheddar, you could also use a couple slices of American cheese.
- Melt butter; remove from heat.
- Stir in flour and seasonings.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until well mixed.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Cook for 5 minutes longer; add cheese. Stir until smooth and well blended.
- Serve with pasta or vegetables.
- Makes 2 cups.