Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This soup is delicious, I have even added in a can of drained corn kernels, use only the packaged powdered gravy mix for this, the prepared bottled or canned will not work, I use a .25 gram package of dry Swiss Chalet or Club House packaged mix for this --- serve this with large-size corn chips on the side or crusty bread, or both --- cooking time is only estimated.
Top Review by alan_landua
I won a soup contest at my husband's squadron with this recipe! I used Monterey Pepper Jack instead of Velveta and I used two cans of the green chili peppers and I did use the Jalapeno. Everyone loved it, especially my hubby! Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making this for many years to come!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional, add in if you like extra spicy)
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 (32 ounce) packagefrozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 (2 ounce) package country gravy mix
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups full-fat milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers (or to taste)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional and to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven saute the onion, celery, jalapeno (if using) and garlic and until soft (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add in the cubed chicken, broth and hash brown potatoes; bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken breast cubes are cooked and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally (it might take more or less time).
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl, dissolve/whisk the dry gravy mix in the half and half cream or milk (if using).
- Stir the gravy/milk mixture into the simmering soup; mix to combine.
- Stir in the Velveeta cheese, salsa and green chilies; mix to combine with a wooden spoon, reduce heat to low, and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Season with pepper if desired.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese is desired.