Recipe by PaulaG
Impress your guests with these delicious breakfast burritos of salmon and eggs topped with an amazing mustard cream sauce. You will have them coming back for more. This dish is excellent served with an assortment of fresh fruit.
Top Review by Tone-Loc
Breakfast turned out delicious. A few subs had to be made with this diverse list of ingredients and what I had on hand, but I stayed true to the concept. (Cheddar in place of monterey jack, wasabi instead of horseradish, cream and evaporated milk substitued with powdered milk, butter and 2% milk)
I was a little weary, but this was awesome. Will have to up the wasabi to the upper limit of the horseradish range. I played it safe, but the dish can absorb the heat thanks to the cream sauce.
definitely 5 stars.
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, diced (I used red. It really brightens up the dish.)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (6 ounce) can pink salmon, drained, flaked
- 6 eggs
- 2 -3 tablespoons prepared horseradish (This will depend on your taste buds.)
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- spanish paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy bottom pan. When melted add in the onions and peppers. Cook until vegetables are crisp tender; stir in salmon and cook until warm.
- Beat together the eggs, horseradish and evaporated milk. Add to pan and as eggs began to set, gently pull cooked portion to the center and repeat process until eggs are set; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Warm the flour tortillas either wrapped in foil in the oven until warm or a few at a time in the microwave. Once soft and pliable, spoon a couple of spoons egg mixture slightly off center, tuck in ends and roll up burrito style. Place the filled tortillas in an oven proof dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and stir in flour, salt and cayenne. Cook over medium until flour begins to brown. Whisk in the 1 cup stock, cream, mustard and tarragon. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese. If sauce becomes to thick, thin with remaining 1/4 cup stock.
- Pour the sauce over the burritos, sprinkle with Spanish paprika and place in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.