Recipe by Manami
Make these for a dinner party or serve them with bowls of soup at a casual family get -together. The garlic buttered toasts compliment the melted cheese and tender roasted red peppers. This came from the Land O' Lakes web site. Instead of using only one grated cheese Parmesan or Romano, why not combine both and see how that turns out?
- 1⁄4 cup Land o' Lakes Butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 16 slices Italian bread or 16 slices French bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2⁄3 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese or 2⁄3 cup freshly shredded romano cheese
- fresh herbs, if desired (Italian parsley, tarragon, basil, "or" "and" oregano) or italian seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Melt butter and garlic in 1 quart saucepan over medium heat until sizzling.
- Place bread onto ungresed baking sheet.
- Butter bread; the side that will be taosted.
- Broil 6" from heat till bread is lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn bread over; brush untoasted side with melted butter mixture.
- Top each with 1/2 slice of Provolone cheese & 1 Tablespoon roasted peppers.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano or with both.
- Continue broiling until cheeses are melted and starting to brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm; garnish with sprig of fresh herb, if desired.