Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Delicious and bit different way of cooking onions. The smoked paprika gives it a special pizzaz, but sub ordinary paprika if you don't have any.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Peel the onions, keep a bit of the root attached so that they don't fall apart, and arrange in a lightly oiled baking tray so that they fit snugly side by side.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and bake until soft, about an hour but it could be longer.
- Remove from the oven, and turn the heat up to 220 degrees C.
- Combine the cheese, nutmeg, salt, pepper and cream in a jug or bowl, stirring well.
- Pour it over the onions, and sprinkle with paprika.
- Return the dish to the oven for 15 minutes until the cheese sauce is golden brown and bubbling.
Wow!! Absolutely wonderful. A lovely change from the usual roast onions. I made these as part of a birthday dinner for a friend and everyone just loved them. Thank you for sharing this great side.
This is the BEST onion recipe ever!!! I've always loved roasted onions, but this recipe (especially the smoked paprika) is the ultimate in roasted onions! I made no changes to this recipe. I used Vidalia onions. I will certainly make these again.... perhaps even for one of my special holiday meals. Thanx for posting!
I have love baked onions since I was a child, but these are on a different level again to the ones I know! We ate these with a roast of beef tonight, and I just loved the sweet, smokey flavour of them. I used a low fat cream and it worked well. I wish my mum was here to share the recipe with her.