Recipe by Jangomango
Delicious and bit different way of cooking onions. The smoked paprika gives it a special pizzaz, but sub ordinary paprika if you don't have any.
Top Review by luvcook'n
Wow!! Absolutely wonderful. A lovely change from the usual roast onions. I made these as part of a birthday dinner for a friend and everyone just loved them. Thank you for sharing this great side.
- 8 medium onions, preferably white
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- kosher salt or sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 250 ml real cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Peel the onions, keep a bit of the root attached so that they don't fall apart, and arrange in a lightly oiled baking tray so that they fit snugly side by side.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and bake until soft, about an hour but it could be longer.
- Remove from the oven, and turn the heat up to 220 degrees C.
- Combine the cheese, nutmeg, salt, pepper and cream in a jug or bowl, stirring well.
- Pour it over the onions, and sprinkle with paprika.
- Return the dish to the oven for 15 minutes until the cheese sauce is golden brown and bubbling.