Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I came up with this recipe and tested it out tonight. It came out much better than I expected. It's grilled balsamic chicken topped with a garlic tomato basil sauce and covered in cheese! Measurements are estimates.
- 4 (6 ounce) chicken breasts
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus some
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 5 basil leaves (about)
- crushed red pepper flakes (about 1/8 tsp)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off the top of the head of garlic just until the cloves are exposed. Drizzle with EVOO and wrap in foil.
- Put tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Roast tomatoes and garlic. Roast tomatoes about 20 minutes, until they burst and roast garlic about 40-45 minutes until tender and golden brown.
- While the tomatoes and garlic are roasting, season chicken breast with salt and pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Let the chicken marinate until the tomatoes and garlic are done.
- Preheat a large skillet and about 2 Tb EVOO over medium high heat. Cook chicken about 8 minutes on each side, until browned. When chicken is done, lower heat and deglaze the pan with white wine. Let wine simmer and reduce.
- Meanwhile squeeze garlic out of clove and puree in a food processor with tomatoes and basil. You may need to season with more salt, pepper, and red pepper at this point.
- Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish and top with pureed tomatoes and sliced provolone cheese. Let bake until cheese is melted, about 5-8 minutes.
Made for Spring PAC 2008. This was good and easy enough to make. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the red pepper flakes as I am not a fan of spicy. My kids weren't huge fans but hubby and I enjoyed it.
Sooooooooo good! I will def be making this again and again! thanks ewalla