Recipe by mcdowell.hsh
This crock-pot recipe is adapted from a stove-top recipe. We wanted a recipe using dried roasted corn with cheese and chicken. It does have a kick, hope you enjoy. It was excellent served with a warm loaf of Jalapeno Cheese Bread.
- 709.77 ml chicken stock, well flavored
- 29.58 ml diced jalapenos
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 473.18 ml chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2-3 whole green chilies, seeds removed and diced or 113.39 g can diced green chilies
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 59.14 ml flour
- 29.58 ml margarine, melted
- 236.59 ml skim milk
- 170.09 g reduced-fat cheese, shredded
- 59.14 ml reduced-fat sour cream
- 118.29 ml dried corn kernels, roasted
- fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- 1 In medium pot, bring seasoned chicken stock and chicken to a boil -- turn down and let simmer covered for about 15 minute Remove from heat.
- 2 In crock-pot. Add onions, peppers, tomatoes, spices, and dry roasted corn. Add cubed chicken and broth. Cook on high setting for about 3 1/2 - 5 hours until corn is tender.
- 3 Combine margarine and flour to make a roux. Stir into soup. Slowly add milk and sour cream, stirring to incorporate. cook on high until soup thickens slightly. Reduce heat and let cook for a about another half hour on low.
- 4 Stir in cheese.
- 6 Serve with chopped cilantro and tortilla chips, Tabasco, rice etc. Texture of the soup should be velvety.not thick.