This crock-pot recipe is adapted from a stove-top recipe. We wanted a recipe using dried roasted corn with cheese and chicken. It does have a kick, hope you enjoy. It was excellent served with a warm loaf of Jalapeno Cheese Bread.
- 3 cups chicken stock, well flavored
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2 -3 whole green chilies, seeds removed and diced or 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 cup skim milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup dried corn kernels, roasted
- fresh cilantro
- 1 In medium pot, bring seasoned chicken stock and chicken to a boil -- turn down and let simmer covered for about 15 minute Remove from heat.
- 2 In crock-pot. Add onions, peppers, tomatoes, spices, and dry roasted corn. Add cubed chicken and broth. Cook on high setting for about 3 1/2 - 5 hours until corn is tender.
- 3 Combine margarine and flour to make a roux. Stir into soup. Slowly add milk and sour cream, stirring to incorporate. cook on high until soup thickens slightly. Reduce heat and let cook for a about another half hour on low.
- 4 Stir in cheese.
- 6 Serve with chopped cilantro and tortilla chips, Tabasco, rice etc. Texture of the soup should be velvety.not thick.
Great soup didn't have dried roasted corn so roasted corn that I had in cabinet. My husband said it was a keeper.