Bay Haven Inn's Note:
Leftover or freshly cooked rice, cheese and green veggies, yum. I cook my rice for the recipe and add 3 chopped garlic cloves to the water, we like garlic. The peppers give the punch (add some jalapenos for fun) and the rice adds the creamy. This is the lower fat version of the California RIce Casserole. I add asparagus, broccoli or fresh sweet peppers, although cauliflower might not be a bad idea either. The milk can be anything from skim to half and half, sour cream or even cottage cheese. You could add some left over chicken. Play with this recipe, I do. Prep time does not include cooking rice, which takes about 20 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 4 ounces diced green chilies (fire roasted or not, to taste)
- 1/4 cup diced onion, to taste
- 1 diced garlic clove
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (add some parmesan cheese or asiago cheese, as an option)
- 1 -1 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese or 1 -1 1/2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese or 1 -1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (add basil) or 1 -1 1/2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese or 1 -1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1Mix all together, except bread crumbs. Spray 1 1/2 qt (whatever size works to make casserole about 2' thick) ceramic baking pan with olive oil or cooking spray.
- 2Pour mixture in the pan, sprinkle top with bread crumbs and spray crumbs with olive oil (I love my Misto) or cooking spray to help it turn a light golden brown while it bakes.
- 3Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes, to a light golden brown on top, up to an hour. Let it rest about 10 minutes to cool and set.
- 4This recipe is very versatile and forgiving. Don't bake it more than an hour or it gets a bit mushy on the inside and too crunchy on top.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Rice Casserole With Options
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.3
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 72.0 mg
- Sodium 566.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 12.8 g