Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
These are great cooked in the backyard grill or over a bed of campfire coals. This was always a favorite for us when canoe/camping and had leftover breakfast bacon.
- 4 slices bacon (cooked crisp and crumbled)
- 4 large potatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter (do not use lite brand as it will turn to water) or 2 tablespoons margarine (do not use lite brand as it will turn to water)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese, of choice (we like sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack with jalapenos)
- Double up tin foil to an 18 inch square.
- Add potato, onion, salt, pepper and butter.
- Fold tin foil to make a secure sealed pouch leaving a bit of space to steam.
- Cook over medium coals for 40 minutes.
- Turn several times.
- Open pouch carefully and add bacon and cheese.
- Return to coals for 3-4 minutes.
- For a low fat or vegetarian version simply leave out bacon and/or cheese.
Very good and easy way to make potatoes on the grill. I layered all the ingredients in the tin foil. First I put a few pats of butter, then the sliced potatoes, then the onion and salt and pepper. Then I put a second layer of butter, potatoes, etc. When the potatoes were done cooking, I opened up the packet and sprinkled on the bacon and cheese. I left the packet opened and left it on the grill for 4 more minutes. This was a delicious way to cook potaotes on the grill.
These were excellent; so much so I've made them twice so far, by request the 2nd time. The flavor was right-on and they were real easy to make. I also appprectiated the clear instructions. If you want a little more kick to them just add a little red pepper at the table.