Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Vegetarian Times, Whip this dish together with leftover or store bought mashed potatoes. Serve with a salad. This looks really delicious, I cant wait to try it!
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons soy margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 large eggs, beaten or 1 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley (optional)
- 6 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 10 ounces fat free cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F Generously butter 6 1 cup ramekins or 2 quart souffle dish or casserole.
- If using cold mashed potatoes, warm in large nonstick skillet or saucepan over med heat until very hot, stirring frequently frequently to prevent scorching.
- Meanwhile, bring one cup of water to a boil. Put flour, margarine, onion powder, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper in mixing bowl, and pour boiling water over mixture. Using electric mixer on low, beat for 1 minute, and add very hot mashed potatoes. Beat again well. Add eggs, and beat again, until thoroughly combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix parsley, shredded cheese and cream cheese in mixing bowl. Scoop 1/2 cup potato mixture into each ramekin, or put 4 cups into a prepared casserole. Make a well in center and spoon in 2 heaping Tbs. of parsley cheese filling.
- Cover filling with 4 tbsp potato mixture.
- If using casserole, top with remaining potato mixture. Place ramekins or casserole on baking sheet.
- Bake 50 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
I used normal butter and full fat cream cheese so I'm sure this was pretty bad for me but it tasted great. I cut the recipe into 2 servings and prepared in individual ramekins. This was a nice change from the normal potato dishes.