Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Added flavor from cooking onion in bacon fat first then adding all to crock pot
Make and share this Cheesy Potato Soup in the Slow Cooker recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slice bacon
- 354.88 ml chopped onions
- 1182.95 ml diced peeled russet potatoes or 5 medium russet potatoes
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped or 118.29 ml chopped celery
- 907.18 g carton chicken broth or 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml half-and-half (I used half skim milk and half whipping cream)
- 226.79 g bag shredded cheddar cheese (I used kraft with with a touch of cream cheese next time might try Shredded Velveeta)
- In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crispy. Remove from skillet, reserving fat in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towel, then refrigerate. In same skillet, cook onion in bacon fat over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix onion, potatoes, celery, broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
- In small bowl, beat flour and half-and-half with wire whisk until well blended; stir into soup. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook about 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in cheese until well melted. Crumble bacon; sprinkle over soup.