Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in one of my favorite cookbooks, "Texas Cookin' - Lone Star Style" and changed it up just a bit. This soup is creamy and delicious! I made it for my DH because he had some dental work done. He normally is not a big soup fan, but he loved this recipe!
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄8 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄8 cup finely chopped celery, optional
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 slices crisp-fried bacon, crumbled
- chives, chopped
- Combine potatoes, water and bouillon granules in a soup pot.
- ~NOTE~You might need to add just a little bit more water to barely cover potatoes.
- Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender.
- Add butter, Velveeta, sour cream, onions, celery, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Heat until cheese melts, stirring frequently.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Sprinkle with bacon and chives on top.
It tasted great but I changed a lot of things. I didn't have any chicken bouillon granuals so I just added some chicken broth and I didn't add the onion, celery, bacon or chives. I either didn't have it or I didn't have enough. Although I did add fresh chopped ham and cut back on the salt since the ham gives it some saltiness. It was still great even with all the changes I made! Next time I will have everything. Thanks for the recipe!
With this recipe I found how to make the soup I have always dreamed of! I actually added tons more cheese, A cup of parmesean, shredded american, goat cheese, and some mexican white cheese. It is super yummy. I also used the already made real bacon bits from the salad dept. to put on top and my oh my!!! Everyone love loves my soup...well yours ha! I forgot to add tat to give it a little zing...I added about a teaspoon full of crushed red pepper. This is truly heaven in soup bowel!