Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks (about 3 cups)
- 2 carrots, peeled trimmed and cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Combine butter with onions in a 3 quart microwave safe bowl or casserole. Microwave uncovered on High for 6 to 7 minutes, until tender, stirring at half time.
- Add potatoes, carrots, seasonings and water. Cover with vented plastic wrap or casserole lid. MW on High for 20 to 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove vegetables from cooking liquid with a slotted spoon and transfer to the food processor. Add about ½ cup of cooking liquid. Process on the steel knife about 25 to 30 seconds until fairly smooth. Return puree to cooking liquid.
- Add milk and cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Adjust seasonings to taste. If necessary, reheat uncovered on High for 1 to 2 minutes if cheese has not melted completely. Do not boil.