Recipe by Theatre Chick
I found this in an old cookbook that had quick, easy-to-prepare recipes with a down-home flavor. I started substituting ingredients, and it tastes even better. This soup is so thick it can be served as a main course.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 6 medium potatoes, cubed (the potatoes are the base, so if they are smaller potatoes, use more)
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, cubed
- minced fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, saute onion in butter.
- Add potatoes and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Turn heat up to medium.
- Stir in the milk, soup, garlic salt, onion powder, and pepper; heat through.
- Add cheese; Stir until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with parsley.