Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I received this recipe from a good friend, tweaked it just a bit to our liking, and it is amazing! We love it, and it is so easy and quick that it's perfect for a busy weeknight. Serve with a salad and some crusty bread, and it's a whole meal! *UPDATE 1/22/08 I often use less butter when I make this, and also usually omit the sour cream. It is a very rich soup so cutting back on those helps a bit, but it is really good with it too!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, grated or diced
- 3 (10 ounce) cans cream of potato soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Melt butter in 5 quart soup pot.
- Add chopped celery, onion, and grated carrots and saute until tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add Velveeta and heat on low until melted.
- Add cream of potato soup and heat through.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream.
This is a really different potato soup and we loved it. Tangy from the sour cream with a light cheesiness and great flavor. Instead of grating the carrots, I sliced them as I wanted a chunkier soup. I did use Smart Balance Light in place of the butter, reduced fat Velveeta, and reduced fat sour cream.