Recipe by Peprich
This is one our family's favorites, created to duplicate a delicious soup we had at a restaurant several years ago. My son insisted that I share it with others. Hope it becomes a favorite of yours.
- 3 -4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 large red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 10 ounces frozen corn
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 4 -8 ounces Velveeta cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute celery and onion in butter with 1/4 cup water added. (Alternatively, fry 3 slices of bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. Saute celery and onion in 2 T. bacon fat.).
- Pour chicken broth in Dutch oven. Add 5 cups water, potatoes, carrots, corn, celery/onion mixture and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add half-and-half and cheese (and bacon, if using). Heat through, until cheese is melted.
- Serve with crusty bread.