Recipe by macadamia.nut
Potato scallop is my favourite comfort food, and my boyfriends, too, and we had been wanting to try and make a homemade one for a long time, and I came across this on the Kraft.ca website (http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/Recipes/RecipeTemplate?recipe_id=84716), and it turned out fantastic! It's become a common dish in our home. We skip on the onions because my boyfriend doesn't like them and I've made this with cheddar cheese, and also with mozzarella cheese, and both turn out fabulously! Enjoy :)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced, separated into rings
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place veg in large saucepan and add just enough water to cover. (Like just a skim) Bring to a boil on med-high heat, and cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Melt butter in saucepan on med heat. Stir in flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir for about one minute. Add milk and blend well. Bring to a boil on med heat and cook until thick - stir constantly. Add cheese and reduce to low heat, cook until cheese is melted - stir constantly.
- Place half of the veg mix in greased casserole dish. Cover with half of the cheese sauce - repeat. Cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered, then for an additional 15-30minutes.