Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A potato recipe that I found in a Pillsbury booklet over 20 years ago. I'v made it as a side dish for cookouts. It can either be baked in an oven or cooked on a grill. I've only used the oven method as there usually isn't any additional room on the grill. I substitute onion powder for onion as a matter of family preference. Makes a lot; can be halved.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease two 12x8" (2 qt.) baking dishes.
- Layer potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, sausage, and shredded cheese in baking dish.
- Cover with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- *ON THE GRILL: Place half of potato and onion slices on each of 22x18" sheets lightly greased, heavy duty foil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer half of sausage and half of shredded cheese over potatoes and onions in each packet. Seal packets tightly.
- Place packets on grill 6-8" from hot coals. Cook about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender, turning frequently.
- *There were no directions for using a gas grill. My new grill gets so hot that I think I would have to use the low setting, and turn frequently as recipe says to do.