Recipe by LizzyGirl09
This is a great comfort food for vegetarians. You can make your own pie crust if you have the time. I got the general recipe from foodreference.com, but tweaked it quite a bit to suit our tastes. Feel free to use any kinds of vegetables or seasonings you prefer.
- 1 prepared deep dish pie shell, prebaked
- 5 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped or shredded
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green beans, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan-romano cheese mix, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a deep, wide sautee pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions,garlic and vegetables, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes and enough milk to almost cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Partially mash the potatoes with a potato masher in the pan.
- Stir in the parmesan-romano cheese, thyme, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, lay 1/2 cup Cheddar over the bottom of the prepared crust.
- Stir the egg yolks into the potato mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with clean dry beaters
- in a medium bowl until almost-stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted.
- Gently fold the whites into the potato mixture, then scrape the filling over the Cheddar in the crust. Sprinkle the paprika and other 1/2 cup Cheddar over the filling.
- Bake until puffed and golden, about 20-30 minutes. Let cool before serving.