Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A definate favorite of my family's. Freezes well. A very filling soup. I serve it with a nice fresh loaf of bread or some fresh rolls. Prep time is considerably less if you have & use a food processor to chop and grate veggies. Good leftover as well.
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I use whole)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 lb Velveeta cheese (I use more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cubed ham (I use turkey ham, about 2 c.) (optional)
- In large, heavy saucepan, bring first 6 ingredients to a boil.
- Cook til veggies are tender.
- Mix milk& flour together and add to veggies.
- Cook, uncovered, until boiling, STIRRING nearly constantly.
- Add the cheese, salt, pepper& ham.
- Stir til cheese is melted.
- ***Iusually double this recipe***.
This soup is wonderful, I did leave out the carrots ( not to fond of them) and added more cheese. Made a double batch, not a drop left. It won't be long before I make it again.
This is a great potato soup. I quadrupled the recipe for daycare and so I would have some leftover to freeze. Made with 1% milk and it was still creamy enough. I followed the recipe exactly, but I love that it is a basic recipe that you can embellish to your taste. I am sure that I will make this again and again, adding something different each time. Maybe bacon, or swiss or green onions...
outstanding! i love this recipe, it's easy to make and most everything i already had on hand! the familt loved it too...its just excellent!