Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of my goals in life is to make as many delicious things from potatoes as possible...They're so CHEAP! I absolutely could not believe how good this was. I'm a beginning cook, so it was a little intimidating how attentive I had to be to the chowder-making process, but that's just the way chowders are--and this was SO worth it. I've cooked it for everyone I know, so they think I'm some kind of fancy kitchen goddess. It's simply lovely to make on a chilly night (isn't it pleasant to huddle near delicious-smelling steam rising off of yummy food when it's cold out there?), and I like to serve it with beer bread. I often add more veggies than the recipes calls for, and have used all different kinds of cheeses as well.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- Combine water, potatoes, celery and carrot in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until veggies are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook and stir onions in butter until onions are tender but not brown (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper (and cayenne if using). Cook and stir about 1 minute.
- Stir in milk and potato mix.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Stir in cheeses and caraway seeds.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until cheeses are melted and mixture is hot, stirring constantly.
Great potato soup. It's tasty and has a nice consistency. I liked the addition of the caraway seeds. You have to like the flavor of caraway if you make this because the flavor really does permeate the soup. This reheats nicely as leftovers. Thanx!