Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is different than the usual Cheesy Potato Casserole, it has stuffing on top for the crunch! I know that might sound weird but it is really good. I even make this into a complete meal instead of a side dish. I hope that you enjoy!!
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen hash browns (with or without peppers) or 2 (16 ounce) packagescubed potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) sour cream
- 1 small onions, diced or 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix (can use chicken or other)
- season salt (to taste)
- Lightly butter the inside of your crockpot.
- Combine soup, sour cream, onion, 1/4 c butter and seasonings in crock pot.
- Add potatoes and cheese, mix well.
- Cover mixture with dry stuffing mix and drizzle with the remaining 3 T of butter.
- cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2 hours. Do NOT stir while cooking.
- * You can make a complete meal by adding cubed ham, frozen mixed veggies, and an extra can of soup.
I added diced ham to this and used the frozen hash browns broken up. It is very rich and wonderful. I have three (two teens) kids who complain when I make ham who could not finish their dinner and wanted to. Thanks :)
Total comfort food! I used frozen diced potatoes, added 16 oz. of diced ham, another cup of cheese and an additional can of soup. Loved the stuffing on top! I shared it with three of my co-workers and they all wanted the recipe. They thought it was "stick-to-your-ribs good." :) Thanks for sharing, Country Diva. ***Made for Fall PAC 2011***
This recipe was great, except for the stuffing on top. The potatoes were moist, however the entire dish tasted like the stuffing. If you want to get that "crunch" while keeping the other flavors of the casserole, top with crushed cornflakes instead of the stuffings mix.