Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Came across this in a flyer and it sounds very good. Great for a potluck dinner.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Grease a deep round or oval 2-quart casserole and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the milk and let dissolve.
- Add the shortening, egg, salt, pepper, and 1 cup of the flour and beat till smooth, about 2 minutes Stir in the remaining 2 cups flour, the potatoes, and cheddar till well blended, scrape the dough in the prepared casserole, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm area till doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly, over the top of the dough and bake till golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool, then cut into slices.
Good flavor. A little rough-looking, but I imagine that it is supposed to be a rustic style bread.