Recipe by al_salihi
My friend told me about this recipe except that she used capers which I don't care for, so I decided to try it and we've been eating it since the 80's. I hope ya'll will enjoy it too!
- 5 large idaho potatoes
- 2 large onions
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 9 ounces whole milk
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- After peeling the potatoes slice into thin rounds making them uniform, if need be use a mandoline. Also slice the onion in the same way but not as thin.
- Take a large casserole dish and spray it with a non-stick spray. Start to layer one third of the potatoes on the bottom of the casserole, add the onion rings in the same manner. Lightly salt & pepper.
- Place 1/3 of both soups into measuring cup and add 1/3 of the milk and stir until smooth. Pour over the potato onion mixture and add 1/4 shredded cheddar cheese. Repeat 2 more times saving the most cheddar for the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350° oven for 70 minutes, remove foil, take a knife to see if the potatoes are cooked through. If so, keep uncovered and lightly brown watching it doesn't burn. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!