Recipe by TheDancingCook
Great side dish for any meat dinner; can be served with your Easter ham, is a great substitute for the ordinary baked potato at your summer BBQ or can be served with any other dinner, anytime.
Top Review by SaraFish
Very easy and yummy. I used 2 pounds of fresh diced potatoes and increased the cooking time by about 10 minutes and it was perfect! I substituted cream of celery soup for the cream of mushroom and it was delicious. I also doubled the onions and I used margarine instead of butter. My only comment is the casserole was quite oily - maybe that was because I used margarine. I think you could sugnificantly cut back on the margarine (maybe even eliminate it altogether) because the soup and sour cream mixture provides plenty of moisture. I also topped the casserole with another small handful of cheese when there was about 10 minutes of cooking time left. Bottom line - a big time hit at my house! Rich, creamy and cheesy!
- 2 lbs frozen hash browns (I use the diced kind)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Defrost potatoes, melt butter, and mix together all ingredients.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour in a 9x13 baking dish.
- From Carol, I sprinkle it with paprika before baking.