Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A belly-warmer! Makes a lot, but is easily halved. Serving size is a guess.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half, can use milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, heaping
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese, heaping
- salt, to taste
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add onion, bell peppers and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Briskly stir in the flour.
- Add the chicken broth and stir well.
- Stir in the potatoes, chives and pepper; bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. *Stir FREQUENTLY to prevent sticking on bottom.
- Add half and half and cheeses; stir constantly until cheese is melted.
- Add salt; if needed to taste.
I used milk and did not have enough cheese, and adde a bit of cornstarch to thicken it up a bit- SOOOOO goood!!!!
We really enjoyed this soup! I used 8 cups broth, and about 2 cups of 2% milk to 1/2 C. flour because I wanted to stretch it into more soup. We also skipped the swiss and just did the 1 cup cheddar and it was plenty cheesy. Oh I also added celery and carrots to get some more veggies in the kids :o).
Parsley, A very tasty soup. Made just as directed but used Yukon Gold potatoes; baking potatoes would have been better. Going to add a cubed poached chicken breast today for lunch. Thanks, Janet