Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a good way to use up leftover roast chicken or sausage and even vegetables, so consider the recipe a starting point. I keep it plain and simple but you can add your own herbs and spices if you like. Kids love it and you only need a vegetable or salad to complete your meal.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 -3 cups cooked chicken, diced (or other leftover cooked meat)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or a combination of cheeses, clean out your fridge)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups milk (or use part chicken broth)
- Cover the bottom of a large casserole dish with half the meat, then half the potatoes and onions. Sprinkle with half the flour, salt and pepper, and half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of milk over, cover, and bake at 350 degrees for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- After half an hour stir, then check again after an hour. If the liquid is absorbed but potatoes aren't done add more milk and bake an additional half hour.
This was very tasty. I used some potatoes but I didn't peel them, just scrubbed them well. I also used a part milk/part chicken broth for the liquid and it got the potatoes cooked in a bit more than an hour.