Recipe by Cookin-jo
This is a good way to use up leftover roast chicken or sausage and even vegetables, so consider the recipe a starting point. I keep it plain and simple but you can add your own herbs and spices if you like. Kids love it and you only need a vegetable or salad to complete your meal.
Top Review by PdxBarb
This was very tasty. I used some potatoes but I didn't peel them, just scrubbed them well. I also used a part milk/part chicken broth for the liquid and it got the potatoes cooked in a bit more than an hour.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 -3 cups cooked chicken, diced (or other leftover cooked meat)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or a combination of cheeses, clean out your fridge)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups milk (or use part chicken broth)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover the bottom of a large casserole dish with half the meat, then half the potatoes and onions. Sprinkle with half the flour, salt and pepper, and half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of milk over, cover, and bake at 350 degrees for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- After half an hour stir, then check again after an hour. If the liquid is absorbed but potatoes aren't done add more milk and bake an additional half hour.