Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy since you don't even have to peel the potatoes.
- 4 large unpeeled baking potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) cupshredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Thinly slice the potatoes and place in a greased shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter, onion, salt, thyme and pepper until the butter is melted.
- Drizzle over potatoes.
- Cover and bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until the cheese melts.
This is a great recipe! Very easy to make and very tasty. The only change I made was I did peel my potatoes. Thanks for posting this recipe!:)
Aug. 23, 2004: Absolutely delicious. Followed this exactly, didn't have fresh parsley - didn't need it. Yum. Thanks very much! UPDATE: I have refined the technique since making these for a couple years now - I dribble the melted butter mixture and cheese between the layers of potatoes. I find that the dish is tastier that way. Just had it again tonight and it never fails to please!
We love this recipe! We've been using this for a while as it was listed in a TOH Cookbook too. Very yummy. I like to use Yukon potatoes for this dish as it makes it a nice "golden" color as the russets do seem to make it look rather gray/green. When I don't have fresh onion, I use dried onions and they work just as well.