Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From an unnamed recipe card. If you wish, add diced ham or sauteed onions. I like the precooking before the baking. I've served too many potato dishes hours after the main meal as I battle to cook it through.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 3⁄4 pint milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 15 g butter
- Lighlty grease a shallow baking dish. Cut the potatoes into thin slices - slicing attachment of the food processor makes this quick. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas7.
- Put the potatoes in a pan with the milk. Season and sprinkle over the grated nutmeg. Bring to boil. Simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- Rub the cut sides of the garlic hard against the inside fo the greased baking dish. Transfer the potato slices into the dish and pour 150ml/1/4 pint of milk over the top.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top of the potatoes. Dot the surface with butter. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese melts and the crust is a crisp golden brown.