Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cook the potatoes ahead and at dinnertime, finish putting together the casserole. Makes for an easy and quick weeknight dinner.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups grated Velveeta cheese
- 8 cups diced cooked potatoes
- 3 cups diced ham
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter and remove from heat.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Gradually stir in milk and water and cook over medium heat until thick.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Combine potatoes and ham and add cheese sauce, stir gently, then place in greased casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet; add and brown bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle crumbs on top of potato casserole and bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes.
Excellent - my family loved it! Made a double batch for company in the roaster - very filling. Make sure you cook potatoes ahead of time.
Cheesy, easy, and delicious! This was a great way to use my leftover ham :)
This was great! We used Panko for the crumbs and it really made a nice topping. It's similar to what some people call "scalloped" potatoes, but with cheese.