Prep 13 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe online after searching for something my stomach was craving!!! You can any kind of cooked breakfast meat you like. Also can be made into breakfast burritos! Recipe courtesy: http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/easy_breakfast_casserole.html
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add hash browns to bottom of dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. (If the hashbrowns are preseasoned, you can skip this step.).
- (If you are going to add cooked sausage or bacon, place it on top of the potatoes.).
- Add 1/2 of the cheese and half of the Chiles on top.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, water and the remaining 1/2 of the Chiles with a wire whisk. Pour over the potatoes and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes. Check the center for doneness by inserting a knife.
- Serve with salsa and tortillas.
- Another option would be to heat flour tortillas on a skillet and add a spoonful or two to a tortilla and roll it up for a breakfast burrito.
Yummmm and easy too. I made this for a Mexico trip planning breakfast. One guy said "I'm not much of a breakfast person", he ate 3 pieces and took a copy of the recipe. Will definitely make again. I did add milk instead of water to the eggs.
I thought it sounded boring, so I doubled the amount of green chili and also added:
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1/2 can black beans, drained
1/2 can roasted corn, drained
Salt-free Mexican seasoning blend
I used only 12 eggs (that was all I had), and added a splash of skim milk to them, instead of the water. My bake time increased by a bit--it was in the oven for a little over an hour.
The result was pretty tasty!
this was just okay for us,we thought it needed more flavor