Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or more if desired) or 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese (or more if desired)
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 -3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained well (or 2-3 cups fresh broccoli, cooked until JUST firm-tender)
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8-inch square pan (or any size pan that will hold the mixture).
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the 2 Tbsp butter; whisk in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg; whisk and cook for 1 minute, add in the half and half cream; whisk until thickened and bubbly.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese (if using), cream cheese and the cheddar Or Swiss cheese; stir until the cheese are completely melted.
- Stir in the hash brown potatoes; mix until combined.
- Spoon HALF of the mixture into a prepared baking dish; top with the broccoli, spoon the remaining mixture over the broccoli.
- Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the Parmesan cheese, mix to combine; add in melted butter, mix well.
- Remove the casserole from the oven.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture just around the edges of the casserole; bake 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven; let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: do not overcook the broccoli, as it will become too soft when baked in the casserole.
This is so good! I've had this in my "to try soon" file and today was the perfect day for it! This went really well with baked porkchops. This is *very cheesy* and rich, but oh so YUMMY! Thanks Kitt! I'll be making this again soon I'm sure!