Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This is adapted from a recipe Emeril made on his show Emeril Green. Marinating the Portobello caps really boosts the mushroom flavor. The tangy lemon mayo sauce balances the richness of the blue cheese. Grilled red onion adds just enough sweetness and crunch. This is a great vegetarian alternative to the standard veggie patty.
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 mushroom caps, Portobello
- 4 slices red onions
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 whole wheat rolls
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaf (to garnish)
- For the lemon mayo: combine mayo, lemon zest/juice and lemon pepper.
- For the marinade: combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic cloves, and chopped basil in a re-sealable plastic bag. Add the Portobello caps. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Prepare the onions: drizzle onion slices with olive oil. On a grill or grill pan, cook until softened and slightly charred.
- Pull the mushrooms out of the marinade. Pat them dry on a paper towel and discard any of the garlic and basil that may be stuck to them; season with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms on the grill with the gill sides down. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn over. Arrange the cheese on the gill side and cook for 6-8 minutes more.
- Toast the buns. Arrange one Portobello with cheese on each roll along with the grilled onions and a few fresh basil leaves. Top with lemon mayo to taste.