Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This could also be made using chicken breast or beef. Adjust all ingredient amounts to taste, this complete recipe may be doubled. I also add in some The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix just to kick the flavor up even more! Use instant rice only for this recipe.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs boneless pork shoulder (cut into about 1-inch pieces)
- salt and black pepper
- 4 tablespoons oil (can use less)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (or use pinto beans)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced green chili peppers, drained
- 1 cup uncooked instant Minute Rice (use white or brown)
- 1⁄4 cup water (or use chicken or beef broth)
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (mild or spicy)
- 2 -4 teaspoons cumin (or use as much as desired)
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream, for top
- Season the pork cubes with salt and black pepper.
- Heat oil in a skillet; add in the pork and brown on all sides or until cooked through.
- Add in the onions, garlic and dried chili flakes (if using) the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 2 or 3-quart casserole dish.
- Add in all remaining ingredients (except the sour cream) mix with wooden spoon to combine.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese; return to oven for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbley.
- Serve with sour cream on the side.