Recipe by Pinay0618
You can serve this Mexican-flavored dish as a main course or a side dish. Quick to make with canned beans, too. Recipe is from Crisco.
- 4 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, divided, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup crisco vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese or 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- HEAT oven to 400°F Puree 1 can pinto beans in a food processor.
- HEAT oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and peppers. Cook about 10 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin. Continue cooking 1 minute. Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup tomato liquid, broth, hot pepper sauce and pureed and whole pinto beans. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Add 6 tablespoons cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- POUR into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining chopped cilantro.