Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very versatile recipe where you can use chicken or vegetarian chicken patties. You can make ahead and freeze for an OAMC meal, or add other vegetables. It's all up to you! It's also easy to hide vegetables like spinach from kids in this one.
- 16 ounces whole wheat penne
- 12 ounces fat-free cottage cheese
- 10 ounces cheese soup
- 6 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 -6 cups raw spinach
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (we add more 'cause we are garlicaholics!)
- 4 breaded chicken patties (either vegetarian patties or 2 breasts of chicken)
- Put the pasta on to boil.
- While pasta is cooking, mix cottage cheese, cheddar cheese soup, and sour cream together, with a stick blender until creamy (meaning no chunks of cottage cheese are left).
- Defrost the chicken and cut up into bite size pieces.
- Dice the spinach into small bits.
- Add half a cup of the cheddar cheese and the garlic.
- By this time the pasta should be done. Drain and add to the mix.
- Toss it all together, put in a 9x13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes.
- **Some option include adding corn and peas.
This recipe didn't quite work out for us on the first try. Passing on some things I would try next time. We like garlic but I feel the flavour is smoother when it's sauteed 1-2 mins beforehand. Towards the end of the saute time I'll throw in the spinach so it cooks/wilts abit. I like the spinach & addition of peas & corn (used 2 oz each, could use 3 oz). Lastly I would increase the chicken patties by 1 or 2 & cut back the pasta (in half). I find 7-8 oz plenty for 5 servings. Thanks for sharing, a nice variation to chicken patties.