Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Awesome--everybody loves this! Very good with tossed salad and garlic bread.
- 1 (1 lb) box medium pasta shell, cooked
- 1 (26 ounce) jarprego garden veggie pasta sauce
- 1 lb ground beef, browned & drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 ounces sour cream
- sliced portabella mushroom
- Combine beef, onion, pepper, and sauce.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- In 9x13-inch baking dish pour 1/2 of the cooked shells.
- Add 1/2 of the sauce mixture.
- Layer with 6 slices of provolone.
- Add a layer of the sliced portabella.
- Cover mushrooms with sour cream.
- Add remaining shells.
- Add remaining sauce.
- Cover with mozzarella.
- Bake covered at 350°F for about 40 minutes.
I thought this was ok. We changed the hamburger to chicken. I think it's need more sauce than the recipe calls for. Also, not quite sure why they want you to use pasta shells when you aren't filling them. You could really use any pasta and it would probably be better since it seemed weird that the shells weren't filled. I would make again with a little tweaking.
It wasn't until I was making the recipe did I look at the nutrition facts and was startled by the calories and fat count. I used 8 oz sour cream and 8 oz ricotta. Would have liked just a little more sauce. Also, after I tasted it realized there weren't any seasonings. Could have used italian seasoning a little salt and pepper, which I added afterward. It was very good, but I would never make it again...too unhealthy.
This was so tasty and pretty easy to make. With the layers, it kind of has a lasagna flair to it. I also believe I will substitute ricotta for the sour cream next time, but this is just a personal preference since the recipe was great as is. Also, this recipe is very filling; I only served garlic bread and fruit with it. Delicious! Thanks for the recipe!