Top Review by TreeSquirrel
Yummy and cheesy! I used Velveeta instead of cheddar, green onion instead of white onion and cornstarch instead of flour. Next time I make this I'm using zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower! This is a versatile pasta that can be adjusted to suit your taste buds!
- 4 cups fusilli or 4 cups rotini pasta, uncooked (corkscrew pasta)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, unpeeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- salt & pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Saute carrots in butter 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion, zucchini and mushrooms. Cook until tender.
- Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk, whisking until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in Cheddar cheese, dry mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Serve immediately.