Recipe by ChefDebs
These were brought along to a potluck luncheon recently, and after i made a complete pig of myself by devouring more than my fair share, i begged the recipe off the little old lady who brought them. Great with chili or cowboy stew, soup or just whenever.
Top Review by ohevshalomel
Not bad! If I could give this recipe four and a half stars, I would. I came across this recipe wile looking for instructions on making grilled cheese sandwiches in the oven. I did make a few changes. I didn't put paper in the bottom of my glass baking dish since I had no paper, but I greased the dish, and the sandwiches didn't stick much. I also left the crusts of my bread slices on. I didn't have any garlic powder, so I used crushed red pepper flakes instead. I didn't mix the cheese in with the egg-butter mixture. Instead, I put slices of provolone cheese on the bottom layer and poured half of the egg mixture on top of that and then put shredded cheddar cheese on the top layer and poured the remaining egg mixture over that. I baked it for twenty-five minutes since my oven is a little hot, and it came out nice and crispy and cheesy. The only thing I didn't like is that it had a bit of an egg-y texture in places, and I'm not very fond of eggs. That's no comment on the recipe itself but just a personal preference. I would recommend this recipe.
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed, and buttered on both sides
- 1⁄2 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper in the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Mix together the eggs, melted butter, cheese, and onion and garlic powder.
- Lay 6 pieces of bread on top of the paper with their sides touching.
- Spread half of the cheese mixture on top of the bread.
- Cover with the other 6 slices of bread and spread the remaining mixture on top.
- Can be kept in the refrigerator ( or even freeze )until ready to bake.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 30 mins or until golden and melty.
- Cut into serving squares.