Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an easy recipe for a tasty soup! I also add in a tablespoon fresh minced garlic with the onion :)
- 2 -3 large onions (chopped or thinly sliced)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- 4 cups half-and-half (or use 18% table cream)
- 3 cups shredded colby or 3 cups monterey jack cheese
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- grated parmesan cheese
- crouton (use as much as you like)
- In a large saucepan saute onion and pinch cayenne pepper in butter until the onions are just lightly golden (about 12 minutes, can add in 1 teaspoon sugar to speed up the browning process).
- Stir in flour and salt until blended.
- Gradually add half and half cream until blended.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Season with ground black pepper to taste.
- Stir in Colby or Monterey Jack cheese until melted.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and croutons.
What's not to love about onions and cheese together? I used a nice big Vidalia onion, and colby-jack blend cheese. The soup is very cheesey and good; great texture. It's very easy to whip up, too. Thanx for another great soup; I'll make this often.