Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very old time recipe. It was from my Grandma's recipes.
Make and share this Cheesy Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Melt shortening in a pot and add the onions; cook till browned.
- Add flour, stirring constantly.
- Add milk (a little at a time), stirring constantly.
- When soup gets HOT and THICK, add the cheese and stir till cheese is melted and soup is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shake paprika on top of soup in bowl and serve.
Wonderfully thick and cheesey soup. The browned onion gives it a nice, mildly sweet flavor. I put a little paprika in the soup as well as on top when served. Thanx for sharing Grandma's recipe. I'll make it again.