Recipe by Mille®
Use the sharpest cheddar that you can find!
Top Review by littleturtle
It was a little hard when it came out of the oven and dried out completely within two days even though I had it wrapped up well. The flavor was pretty good, a nice mild rye, but I couldn't really taste the cheese and I would have liked more of that flavor. Thanks for sharing though.
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 ounces plain flour
- 10 ounces rye flour
- 1 package fast-rising active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 9 -10 fluid ounces lukewarm milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt a little butter, add the onion and fry for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Sift the flours together; add the yeast, salt, cheese, onion and remaining butter and sufficient milk to mix to a dough.
- Knead until smooth.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 1½- 2 hours to rise.
- Turn out, knead gently and shape into a round loaf.
- Place on a baking sheet and leave to rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Brush with water, sprinkle with a little flour, cut a criss-cross pattern on the top and bake at 425°F 30-35 minutes.