Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are not a garlic-lover then omit the garlic powder, since the onion soup mix is salty I advise not to add in any extra salt. --- this makes a huge amount, but don't worry there won't be any leftovers! --- make certain to let the dry onion soup mixture sit in the hot melted butter for 30 minutes this will allow the onion flakes to soften, a few more or less potatoes will not matter -- these may also be made in a large greased heavy foil pan and cooked on the outdoor grill ---all amounts may be adjusted to suit taste :)
Top Review by Nikoma
Chose this recipe to make for a potluck last weekend. Unfortunately my stomach was acting up so I didn't get any! Everyone else however said they were fantastic and I saw the host hiding the leftovers in the fridge for himself for later LOL Fiance said he would definitely like me to make them again so that is 5 stars in my book! Not to mention Super simple to do! Thanks Kitten!
- 6 -8 potatoes (quartered or sliced peeled or unpeeled)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1.5 (1 1/3 ounce) packageslipton dry onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional I like to add it in)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (can use less)
- 5 large green onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- If you are using unpeeled potatoes make certain to wash and scrub the skin, and if you are slicing the potatoes ahead of time and soaking in water the potatoes must be dried with a paper towel before using in this recipe.
- Place the hot melted butter in a bowl; add in garlic powder,dry onion soup and cayenne pepper; mix to combine and allow to sit for about 30 minutes to soften the onion flakes (you may leave it sit for more time if desired) stir occasionally.
- Slice the potatoes into quarters, then place in a large roasting pan; sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the butter mixture over the potatoes; toss to coat (I use my hands for this).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to bottom position.
- Bake uncovered 30 minutes.
- Remove and stir the potatoes.
- Place back in the oven and bake uncovered for another 20- 30 minutes or until just fork tender, removing and stirring another time while cooking (cooking time will depend on the thickness of the potatoes).
- Sprinkle with cheese and green onions over the hot potatoes.
- Serve immediately.