1/2 Photos of Cheesy Onion Potatoes
1 hr 15 mins
If you are not a garlic-lover then omit the garlic powder, since the onion soup mix is salty I advise not to add in any extra salt. --- this makes a huge amount, but don't worry there won't be any leftovers! --- make certain to let the dry onion soup mixture sit in the hot melted butter for 30 minutes this will allow the onion flakes to soften, a few more or less potatoes will not matter -- these may also be made in a large greased heavy foil pan and cooked on the outdoor grill ---all amounts may be adjusted to suit taste :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 potatoes (quartered or sliced peeled or unpeeled)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1.5 (1 1/3 ounce) packages lipton dry onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional I like to add it in)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (can use less)
- 5 large green onions, chopped
- 1If you are using unpeeled potatoes make certain to wash and scrub the skin, and if you are slicing the potatoes ahead of time and soaking in water the potatoes must be dried with a paper towel before using in this recipe.
- 2Place the hot melted butter in a bowl; add in garlic powder,dry onion soup and cayenne pepper; mix to combine and allow to sit for about 30 minutes to soften the onion flakes (you may leave it sit for more time if desired) stir occasionally.
- 3Slice the potatoes into quarters, then place in a large roasting pan; sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- 4Pour the butter mixture over the potatoes; toss to coat (I use my hands for this).
- 5Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 6Set oven rack to bottom position.
- 7Bake uncovered 30 minutes.
- 8Remove and stir the potatoes.
- 9Place back in the oven and bake uncovered for another 20- 30 minutes or until just fork tender, removing and stirring another time while cooking (cooking time will depend on the thickness of the potatoes).
- 10Sprinkle with cheese and green onions over the hot potatoes.
- 11Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Onion Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.9
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 80.6 mg
- Sodium 1070.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 15.0 g