Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
We love this recipe, although it is not lowfat in any way. I have doubled it for parties, following the directions for the first layer, and then doing a second layer in the same pan, using an equal amount of ingredients. I have also prepared it ahead of time, placed it in a crockpot to keep warm, and added the cheese and onions just before serving.
- 6 medium baking potatoes, unpeeled and cubed (about 2 lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- nonstick cooking spray, 2 or 3 sprays
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a 9x13 baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dot with butter, and sprinkle dry onion soup mix over the top.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, then uncover and stir, making sure potatoes do not stick to pan.
- Cover and bake 30 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and green onions, serve immediately.
- Do not wait too long to serve or cheese will puddle to the bottom of the pan too much.
- Very good served with bottled ranch dressing for dipping.