Recipe by ARathkamp
I’ve seen several hash brown casserole dishes that have some type of cream or condensed soup. This recipe offers an alternative and uses beef broth. I feel this allows the flavor of the potatoes, cheese and onions come out.
Top Review by georgeweezie_8318418
I give this 5 stars because it offered something different from the other casseroles I looked at. I don't like the tang of sourcreamy potatoes and I don't like the recipes that call for the cream soups. I read this recipe and had my own "A-HA!" moment. I used one cup of beef broth, a whole onion (which I sauteed in 1/4 cup butter before adding to broth) and 8 oz cream cheese. I warmed all that together and whisked the cream cheese to make my sauce first. I used one 8-oz bg of shredded cheddar and topped the casserole for the last 15 mins with a handful of shredded colby/jack. IT WAS A HUGE HIT! THE WHOLE FAMILY LOVED!!! Creamy, cheesy, delish!!! I did use frozen hashbrowns that I micro'd for 1 minute and I ended up having to bake for a whole hour to get tender taters. Thanks for a great recipe that dares to be different!!!
- 907.18 g frozen hash browns (shredded)
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 396.89 g can beef broth
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 44.37 ml instant minced onion
- 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese, colby cheese blend, shredded
- 473.18 ml sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 13 x 9 oven safe casserole dish with cooking spray (butter flavored works well with this dish).
- Combine all ingrediants except sharp cheddar cheese and put in prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with sharp cheddar cheese and bake additional 15 minutes.