Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I’ve seen several hash brown casserole dishes that have some type of cream or condensed soup. This recipe offers an alternative and uses beef broth. I feel this allows the flavor of the potatoes, cheese and onions come out.
- 907.18 g frozen hash browns (shredded)
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 396.89 g can beef broth
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 44.37 ml instant minced onion
- 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese, colby cheese blend, shredded
- 473.18 ml sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 13 x 9 oven safe casserole dish with cooking spray (butter flavored works well with this dish).
- Combine all ingrediants except sharp cheddar cheese and put in prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with sharp cheddar cheese and bake additional 15 minutes.
I give this 5 stars because it offered something different from the other casseroles I looked at. I don't like the tang of sourcreamy potatoes and I don't like the recipes that call for the cream soups. I read this recipe and had my own "A-HA!" moment. I used one cup of beef broth, a whole onion (which I sauteed in 1/4 cup butter before adding to broth) and 8 oz cream cheese. I warmed all that together and whisked the cream cheese to make my sauce first. I used one 8-oz bg of shredded cheddar and topped the casserole for the last 15 mins with a handful of shredded colby/jack. IT WAS A HUGE HIT! THE WHOLE FAMILY LOVED!!! Creamy, cheesy, delish!!! I did use frozen hashbrowns that I micro'd for 1 minute and I ended up having to bake for a whole hour to get tender taters. Thanks for a great recipe that dares to be different!!!