Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Since I make this without really measuring, the amounts listed are only estimated but close to what I use when I make this bread, you can adjust the amounts slightly to suit taste, the amounts listed are for two long baguettes but you can reduce the amounts for just one baguette, I serve these at my get togethers so I always make two loaves. You will love this bread.
Top Review by Chef Queequegg
This was so easy and delicious, and very rich!
Save yourself some spreading time and after you mix the mayo/cheese, stir the onions right in and then you can spread it all at once!
I spread onto individual slices before broiling - big hit at the family dinner!
- 2 French baguettes (purchase the long thin crusty bread)
- 2 large yellow onions, very finely chopped (or minced)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened (can use more)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (do not use salad dressing it's too sweet!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to broiler heat.
- Slice both baguettes diagonally into about 3/4-inch slices.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat melt butter.
- Add in the onions and garlic and saute for about 5-6 minutes or until tender, then season lightly with black pepper and a small amount of salt; set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl combine the mozza cheese with Parmesan and mayonnaise.
- Arrange the bread slices on a large baking or cookie sheet.
- Spread the onion/garlic mixture over the slices, then spread the cheese/mayo mixture over the onion/garlic mixture.
- Broil about 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.