1/1 Photo of Cheesy Onion Cornbread
1 hr 5 mins
The crispy onions on top give an almost sweet flavour to this wonderfully cheesy bread. It goes great with fruit chutney.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 190°C/275°F/gas mark 5. Grease a 900g (2lb) loaf tin and set aside. Fry the onion gently for 10-15 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- 2Place the maize meal, rice flour, soya flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the cheese. In a small bowl, beat together the milk, eggs, and melted butter, then add to the flour mixture, stirring to mix well.
- 3Reserve about 1 tablespoon of the cooked onions. Stir the remaining onions into the bread mixture. Transfer the mixture to the loaf tin and level the surface. Sprinkle the reserved onions over the top.
- 4Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the loaf is risen and golden brown. Turn out and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold in slices.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Onion Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.5
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 84.0 mg
- Sodium 586.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: