This recipe tastes similar to French onion soup!
Make and share this Cheesy Onion Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 4 -6 tablespoons butter
- 3 large sweet onions, sliced
- seasoning salt (to taste) or white salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half or 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or to taste)
- 8 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
- Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat; add in onions and saute until translucent and slightly brown, then season with salt to taste.
- In the prepared baking dish layer onions then two-thirds of cheeses sprinkling pepper between layers.
- In a saucepan heat soup with half and half and soy sauce; stir to blend.
- Pour over onions and stir gently.
- Top with bread slices.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Push bread under sauce then sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 15 minutes longer.
I've made this for several years and we love it. I only used about 2 Tbps. of butter and prefer Vidialias when available, but its good with any onion. This is a winner for onion lovers!
I love onions, and this was good. It was creamy and easy to make. I used the milk option. Thanks Kitten!